For Students

Long-Term Disability accommodations

Access ‘Cuse

Students who are in need of the services of Access ‘Cuse should be registered with the Center for Disability Resources (CDR). If you have not already registered yet, you will need to fill out the registration form.

Once you are registered, your CDR Access Counselor will meet with you and determine your eligibility for the service. All referrals will be directed to the accessible transportation coordinator, to set up the initial schedule.

For more information on the other services offered, visit the Center for Disability Resources.

Temporary Disability Accommodations

Medical Transport

Syracuse University Health Services provides medical transportation for students who require non-emergency transport due to a temporary medical condition for no longer than six weeks. This can include transportation to Health Services for medical evaluation, a return trip from Health Services to your residence hall or an initial ride to an off-campus medical appointment.

Due to the demands of the service, transports are generally not available to:

  • Medical Appointments not immediately surrounding the main campus
  • Pharmacies (unless approved by the Pharmacy Manager)
  • Student Employment
  • Onondaga County Health Department (unless referred by Health Services)
  • Dentist or Orthodontic appointments (will allow in cases of a Dental emergency)
  • Psychiatric Services (unless referred by Health Services)
  • Chiropractic appointments

Healthcare facilities that are outside the University area will not be utilized unless absolutely necessary and pre-approved by the Health Services Medical Director or the EMS Manager.

How do I get started?

Students that require temporary medical transport must complete a Medical Transport Request Form (available at Barnes Center at The Arch). The form must be filled out by their physician or Health Services staff. The Health Services Medical Director has final authority over all transport requests. All medical necessity notes provided by personal physicians or providers will be reviewed and approved by Health Services.

The completed request form must be submitted within five business days of the first request. Failure to submit transport request form will result in suspension of service.

Is there a fee?

Full time students who pay the student health and wellness fee are entitled to medical transports during the six-week period. After the six-week period, a $5 charge may be assessed for each ride and the transport will be re-evaluated by the Health Services medical director and EMS manager. If a student is referred to an outside healthcare provider from Health Services staff, they will not be charged for transport. Furthermore, students will not be charged for return trips from an area hospital.

When is medical transport available?

Service is available during the academic year between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m.. After 10 p.m., medical transport will only be available for return trips from an area hospital.

How do I schedule a transport?

To request a transport, call 315.443.4566 or email Paul Smyth at Transport requests for regularly scheduled appointments should be made one week in advance.

What other transport services are available?

Syracuse University Office of Parking and Transportation Services provides an extensive bus service on and off campus. More information is available at the Parking and Transportation Services website, or by calling 315.443.4652. Bus schedules are available online and at student centers around campus.